5 SIMPLE KEYS TO BECOMING A BETTER SINGER:
- Stand with feet hip distance apart
- Elongate the spine
- Chest out with shoulders relaxed down
- Slightly tuck your tail bone inward
- Breath Control
- Breath deep into the belly, allowing the abdomen to expand outward “belly breath”
- On the exhale gently push the stomach inward while keeping the rib cage opened (you are learning to develop the intercostal muscles so your rib cage can stay opened on the exhale, which allows for more air capacity in the lungs)
- Be sure to maintain good posture
- Practice posture and this breath work for 2 – 5 minutes
- “Fake it until you make it”: When you sing, just pretend and feel like you are a good singer. This alone, will in fact make you sing better (even if it’s just a little bit)
- Don’t care how you sound. The more you scrutinize your sound, the less likely you are to make “mistakes” while exploring your range and developing your vocals and style. Instead take mental note of what you did, how you felt, what you were thinking of, and how your instrument (your body) was working whenever you produce a sound that you like. Continue developing that.
- Take some time, close your eyes and use ALL your senses to imaging you singing well in the environment of your choice. Embody this story for a while.
- One Simple technical exercise that can help with breath control, sustaining notes, ear training/pitch, and tone is as follows:
- Go to a piano/keyboard and press a key
- Position yourself with good posture and take a deep “belly breath” in
- Exhale while trying to match the pitch of the pressed key with control in the speed of the breath/exhale
- Produce that sound/sing on that pitch for as long as you can
- Do this moving up by step/one key at a time (semitone) Note: Try and start as low as you can on the keyboard, then work your way up to as high as you can. This helps in extending your range.
When you can explore, become comfortable AND skilled with you voice, you can translate these skills to other areas of your life like:
Now that you are improving vocally…
- Select a song that you love that relates to an area of your life that is important to you or a topic that you need to communicate on
- See if you can find the words and lyrics of that song (Google it)
- Play the recording of the song while you sing along
- First time – sing however you like
- Second time – sing as if you are very emotional/crying
- Third time – sing as if you are trying to control yourself from laughing
- Fourth time – sing while dancing/freely moving to the music
- Fifth time – sing as close to the way the artist is singing it
- Sixth time – sing with a “chest voice” or with a heavy sound; sing from the belly and BELT IT OUT
- Seventh time – sing with a “head voice”, “falsetto”, or with light, breathy/airy vocals
*OPTIONAL EXERCISE (fortifies the process and desired outcome even more)
- Re write the song as you own by substituting lyrics and phrases with your own words
- Sing the new version of the song with your lyrics
After completing all the steps you will be feeling…
- Clear headed with a natural high
- Able to articulate your truth regarding the subject with CONFIDENCE!
Give it a try. You have nothing to lose. You may have to invest around an hour of your time. If you can’t invest in yourself, then no one will want to invest in you.